Subject: [PATCH v3 00/26] inotify support

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:28:48 +0700

I'm happy with this now. The only things left are applying ewah on the
watch index extension and maybe improve lookup performance a bit. The
former needs jk/pack-bitmap graduated. The latter is not urgent. Oh
and maybe address "BUGS" section (more like known limitations) in
git-file-watcher.txt.

For early adopters that fear a buggy file-watcher may cause update
loss, set GIT_TEST_WATCHED=1 (or 2). It'll do lstat() to verify
file-watcher results (so no perf. gain). Beware of race condition
that may lead to false positives, mentioned in 20/26 (maybe I should
do something about it).

The series can also be fetched from

https://github.com/pclouds/git.git file-watcher

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (26):
  pkt-line.c: rename global variable buffer[] to something less generic
  pkt-line.c: add packet_write_timeout()
  pkt-line.c: add packet_read_line_timeout()
  unix-socket: make unlink() optional in unix_stream_listen()
  Add git-file-watcher and basic connection handling logic
  file-watcher: check socket directory permission
  file-watcher: remove socket on exit
  file-watcher: add --detach
  read-cache: save trailing sha-1
  read-cache: new flag CE_WATCHED to mark what file is watched
  Clear CE_WATCHED when set CE_VALID alone
  read-cache: basic hand shaking to the file watcher
  read-cache: ask file watcher to watch files
  read-cache: put some limits on file watching
  read-cache: get changed file list from file watcher
  git-compat-util.h: add inotify stubs on non-Linux platforms
  file-watcher: inotify support, watching part
  file-watcher: inotify support, notification part
  Wrap CE_VALID test with ce_valid()
  read-cache: new variable to verify file-watcher results
  Support running file watcher with the test suite
  file-watcher: quit if $WATCHER/socket is gone
  file-watcher: tests for the daemon
  ls-files: print CE_WATCHED as W (or "w" with CE_VALID)
  file-watcher: tests for the client side
  Disable file-watcher with system inotify on some tests

 .gitignore                               |    2 +
 Documentation/config.txt                 |   19 +
 Documentation/git-file-watcher.txt (new) |   54 ++
 Documentation/git-ls-files.txt           |    1 +
 Documentation/technical/index-format.txt |    9 +
 Makefile                                 |    3 +
 builtin/grep.c                           |    2 +-
 builtin/ls-files.c                       |   14 +-
 builtin/update-index.c                   |   12 +-
 cache.h                                  |   17 +
 config.mak.uname                         |    1 +
 credential-cache--daemon.c               |    2 +-
 daemon.c                                 |   30 +-
 diff-lib.c                               |    4 +-
 diff.c                                   |    2 +-
 file-watcher-lib.c (new)                 |  321 +++++++++
 file-watcher-lib.h (new)                 |    8 +
 file-watcher.c (new)                     | 1149 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 git-compat-util.h                        |   43 ++
 pkt-line.c                               |   61 +-
 pkt-line.h                               |    2 +
 read-cache.c                             |  119 +++-
 setup.c                                  |   25 +
 t/t1011-read-tree-sparse-checkout.sh     |    2 +
 t/t2104-update-index-skip-worktree.sh    |    2 +
 t/t7011-skip-worktree-reading.sh         |    2 +
 t/t7012-skip-worktree-writing.sh         |    2 +
 t/t7513-file-watcher.sh (new +x)         |  382 ++++++++++
 t/t7514-file-watcher-lib.sh (new +x)     |  190 +++++
 test-file-watcher.c (new)                |  111 +++
 unix-socket.c                            |    5 +-
 unix-socket.h                            |    2 +-
 unpack-trees.c                           |    2 +-
 wrapper.c                                |   47 ++
 34 files changed, 2591 insertions(+), 56 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/git-file-watcher.txt
 create mode 100644 file-watcher-lib.c
 create mode 100644 file-watcher-lib.h
 create mode 100644 file-watcher.c
 create mode 100755 t/t7513-file-watcher.sh
 create mode 100755 t/t7514-file-watcher-lib.sh
 create mode 100644 test-file-watcher.c

-- 
1.8.5.2.240.g8478abd