Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Ignore trailing spaces in .gitignore

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:10:02 +0700

Trailing spaces are invisible in most standard editors (*). "git diff"
does show trailing spaces by default. But that does not help newly
written .gitignore files. And trailing spaces are the source of
frustration when writing .gitignore.

So let's ignore them. Nobody sane would put a trailing space in file
names. But we could be careful and do it in two steps: warn first,
then ignore trailing spaces. Another option is merge two patches in
one and be done with it.

People can still quote trailing spaces, which will not be ignored (and
much more visible). Quoting comes with a cost of doing fnmatch(). But
I won't optimize it until I see someone shows me they have a use case
for it.

(*) either that or my coworkers keep pissing me off on purpose when
    they never clean trailing spaces.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (2):
  dir: warn about trailing spaces in exclude pattern
  dir: ignore trailing spaces in exclude patterns

 Documentation/gitignore.txt | 3 +++
 dir.c                       | 9 +++++++++
 2 files changed, 12 insertions(+)

-- 
1.8.5.2.240.g8478abd