Subject: [PATCH v2 5/9] fetch doc: on pulling multiple refspecs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 15:16:28 -0700

Replace desription of old-style "Pull:" lines in remotes/
configuration with modern remote.*.fetch variables.

As this note applies only to "git pull", enable it only
in git-pull manual page.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt | 12 ++++++++----
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt b/Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt
index 40f8687..25af2ce 100644
--- a/Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt
+++ b/Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt
@@ -34,22 +34,26 @@ will be needed for such branches.  There is no way to
 determine or declare that a branch will be made available
 in a repository with this behavior; the pulling user simply
 must know this is the expected usage pattern for a branch.
+ifdef::git-pull[]
 +
 [NOTE]
 There is a difference between listing multiple <refspec>
 directly on 'git pull' command line and having multiple
-`Pull:` <refspec> lines for a <repository> and running
+`remote.<repository>.fetch` entries in your configuration
+for a <repository> and running
 'git pull' command without any explicit <refspec> parameters.
 <refspec> listed explicitly on the command line are always
 merged into the current branch after fetching.  In other words,
 if you list more than one remote refs, you would be making
-an Octopus.  While 'git pull' run without any explicit <refspec>
-parameter takes default <refspec>s from `Pull:` lines, it
+an Octopus merge. On the other hand, 'git pull' that is run
+without any explicit <refspec> parameter takes default
+<refspec>s from `remote.<repository>.fetch` configuration, it
 merges only the first <refspec> found into the current branch,
-after fetching all the remote refs.  This is because making an
+after fetching all the remote refs specified.  This is because making an
 Octopus from remote refs is rarely done, while keeping track
 of multiple remote heads in one-go by fetching more than one
 is often useful.
+endif::git-pull[]
 +
 Some short-cut notations are also supported.
 +
-- 
2.0.0-511-g1433423