Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/1] receive-pack: optionally deny case clone refs

From: David Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:28:28 -0400

On Wed, 2014-08-13 at 09:20 -0700, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:
> David,
> 
> One possible solution can be to use the external database daemon I am
> working of for ref transactions.
> Since this makes all refs be stored in a dedicated database instead of
> the filesystem you no longer are dependent on file system semantics.
> 
> While not in the official git trees yet I would appreciate any testing
> and comments you may have it you want to test it.
> https://github.com/rsahlberg/git/tree/backend-struct-db-2
> 
> Not for production use but seeing if it does build and works on your
> platforms would be great.

Thanks. We ultimately went with a custom hook (which also enforces other
business rules), but I'm very excited about the new backend and hope it
will improve performance generally.

One thing you could do to increase adoption would be to make a Homebrew
formula for tdb. Homebrew is the defacto standard Mac packaging system.
Sadly, a large number of engineers use Macs, so this is a large barrier
-- especially since the tdb build is somewhat baroque.

It would also be great if it didn't require a fresh clone; for a large
organization with large repos, requiring every engineer to re-clone is
somewhat onerous.  I assume it's straightforward to do a conversion from
an existing set of refs but that it just hasn't been a priority for you
yet.

Thanks so much for working on this!