Subject: Re: Diffs for submodule conflicts during rebase usually empty

From: "Edward Z. Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 09:03:34 -0400

Hello Jens,

Excerpts from Jens Lehmann's message of 2014-09-11 15:29:28 -0400:
> Git does know what's going on, just fails to display it properly
> in the diff, as the output of ls-files shows:
> 
>     $git ls-files -u
>     160000 6a6e215138b7f343fba67ba1b6ffc152019c6085 1    b
>     160000 fc12d3455b120916ec508c3ccd04f23957c08ea5 2    b
>     160000 33d9fa9f9e25de2a85f84993d8f6c752f84c769a 3    b

Right. But I'd also add that even though Git knows what's going
on, even if we reported /that/ it wouldn't be user friendly:
namely, because submodules are not updated automatically so the
first line would always be what the submodule was pointed to
before we started rebasing.  That's not so useful either...

> I agree that this needs to be improved, but am currently lacking
> the time to do it myself. But I believe this will get important
> rather soonish when we recursively update submodules too ...

As I've said, I'm happy to contribute a patch, if we can agree
what the right resolution is...

Cheers,
Edward