Subject: Re: Git Newbie - GSoC mini Project

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:49:46 +0100

On wo, 2015-03-04 at 11:50 +0530, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha wrote:
>        I'm a newbie to git. I started  working on git. I cloned the
> git repository and started hacking it. I need a suggestion on how to
> start working on the micro project "
> 
> Make "git -C '' cmd" not to barf".

git -C '' cmd currently throws an error:

$ git -C '' status
fatal: Cannot change to '': No such file or directory

So the two things you should do are

- Determine what the desired behavior would be
- Implementing that behavior

For the first step, I'd send a mail to this list asking people for
input, paying special attention to the responses of the core maintainers
and possible GSOC mentors (I'm not one of them, but I think the error is
actually the right behavior, I'd prefer git -C "$repodir" to bomb out if
$repodir is unset. On the other hand cd '' is equivalent to not cd'ing
at all so there's precedent to change this).

For the second step, you'll need to find the bit of code where the -C
option is handled and add a special case for the empty string to do what
came out of the discussion about wanted behavior.

-- 
Dennis Kaarsemaker
www.kaarsemaker.net