Subject: [PATCH 24/24] git-status.txt: advertisement for untracked cache

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 17:12:47 +0700

When a good user sees the "too long, consider -uno" advice when
running `git status`, they should check out the man page to find out
more. This change suggests they try untracked cache before -uno.

Helped-by: brian m. carlson <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-status.txt | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-status.txt b/Documentation/git-status.txt
index def635f..4dcad4e 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-status.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-status.txt
@@ -58,7 +58,10 @@ When `-u` option is not used, untracked files and directories are
 shown (i.e. the same as specifying `normal`), to help you avoid
 forgetting to add newly created files.  Because it takes extra work
 to find untracked files in the filesystem, this mode may take some
-time in a large working tree.  You can use `no` to have `git status`
+time in a large working tree.
+Consider enabling untracked cache and split index if supported (see
+`git update-index --untracked-cache` and `git update-index
+--split-index`), Otherwise you can use `no` to have `git status`
 return more quickly without showing untracked files.
 +
 The default can be changed using the status.showUntrackedFiles
-- 
2.3.0.rc1.137.g477eb31