Subject: Re: support git+mosh for unreliable connections

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:25:44 +0200

On wo, 2015-04-15 at 19:46 +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On 2015-04-15 17:33, Trevor Saunders wrote:

> > but it certainly does support ssh <host> <command>
> > and then doing IO.
> 
Yes, in interactive sessions. mosh synchronizes terminal state, it
doesn't allow random I/O between client and server.

> Ah, so mosh's README lied to me!
> 
> If `mosh <user>@<host> <command>` works, then a simple `GIT_SSH=mosh`
> should work out of the box, too. Have you tried it?

It does not and cannot work. The way mosh works, is that it uses ssh to
log in and launch a mosh-server daemon. This daemon and the mosh client
then communicate via a custom UDP protocol. The SSH connection is closed
after the mosh-server has been launched as it is no longer needed.

The communication between the mosh client and server synchronizes
terminal state, somewhat like what screen/tmux do.

-- 
Dennis Kaarsemaker
www.kaarsemaker.net