Subject: [PATCH v2 00/15] Teach "git merge FETCH_HEAD" octopus merges

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:29:18 -0700

This series is an attempt to make these two operations truly equivalent:

    $ git pull . topic-a topic-b...

    $ git fetch . topic-a topic-b...
    $ git merge FETCH_HEAD

Compared to the previous one ($gmane/267809), there are only a few
minor changes:

 - The first patch is new; it adds tests to illustrate what the
   current code does.  Accordingly, the penultimate patch is the
   same as the previous, but updates the tests that expect failure
   in this step to expect success.

 - One step failed to compile (the offending code was removed in a
   later patch and the endgame did not break the build), which has
   been corrected.

Junio C Hamano (15):
  merge: test the top-level merge driver
  merge: simplify code flow
  t5520: style fixes
  t5520: test pulling an octopus into an unborn branch
  merge: clarify "pulling into void" special case
  merge: do not check argc to determine number of remote heads
  merge: small leakfix and code simplification
  merge: clarify collect_parents() logic
  merge: split reduce_parents() out of collect_parents()
  merge: narrow scope of merge_names
  merge: extract prepare_merge_message() logic out
  merge: make collect_parents() auto-generate the merge message
  merge: decide if we auto-generate the message early in collect_parents()
  merge: handle FETCH_HEAD internally
  merge: deprecate 'git merge <message> HEAD <commit>' syntax

 Documentation/git-merge.txt   |   4 +
 builtin/merge.c               | 248 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 git-cvsimport.perl            |   2 +-
 git-pull.sh                   |   3 +-
 t/t3033-merge-toplevel.sh     | 136 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t3402-rebase-merge.sh       |   2 +-
 t/t5520-pull.sh               |  31 +++---
 t/t6020-merge-df.sh           |   2 +-
 t/t6021-merge-criss-cross.sh  |   6 +-
 t/t9402-git-cvsserver-refs.sh |   2 +-
 10 files changed, 324 insertions(+), 112 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t3033-merge-toplevel.sh

-- 
2.4.0-rc3-300-g052d062