Subject: Re: RFC: git cat-file --follow-symlinks?

From: David Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 10:29:15 -0700

On Fri, 2015-05-01 at 01:36 -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:29:14PM -0700, David Turner wrote:
> 
> > >   4. Return the last object we could resolve, as I described. So
> > [...]
> > 
> > Actually, I think 4 has an insurmountable problem.  Here's the case I'm
> > thinking of:
> > 
> > ln -s ..  morx
> > 
> > Imagine that we go to look up 'morx/fleem'.  Now morx is the "last
> > object we could resolve", but we don't know how much of our input has
> > been consumed at this point.  So consumers don't know that after they
> > exit the repo, they still need to find fleem next to it.
> 
> Yes, agreed (my list was written before Andreas brought up the idea of
> symlinks in the intermediate paths). I think to let the caller pick up
> where you left off, you would have to create a new string that has the
> "remainder" concatenated to it.

Since that new string does not exist in the object db, isn't that pretty
much proposal 3?  We could, in this case, provide a fake sha as well
("0"*40), to make it clear that the object does not exist.