Subject: Re: Submodule, subtree, or something else?

From: Jānis Rukšāns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 17:11:06 +0300

On Pk, 2015-08-21 at 17:07 -0700, Stefan Beller wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jānis Rukšāns <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > A major drawback of submodules in my opinion is the
> > inability to make a full clone from an existing one without having
> > access to the central repository, which is something I have to do from
> > time to time.
> 
> Can you elaborate on that a bit more?
> git clone --recurse-submodules should do that no matter which remote
> you contact?

I mean that if I have cloned a repository with submodules, cloning that
repository with --recurse-submodules will either access the "central
server" if absolute URLs are used, or requires additional clones for
each submodule.  For example

git clone --recursive http://somewhere/projectA.git
git clone --recursive file://$(pwd)/projectA projectA.tmp

The second command will cause the submodules to be downloaded again, or
expect them to be found in $(pwd).

Or am I mistaken, or doing something wrong?