Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Use watchman to reduce index refresh time

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 14:55:41 +0100

This series builds on top of the index-helper series I just sent and
uses watchman to keep track of file changes in order to avoid lstat()
at refresh time. The series can also be found at [1]

When I started this work, watchman did not support Windows yet. It
does now, even if still experimental [2]. So Windows people, please
try it out if you have time.

To put all pieces so far together, we have split-index to reduce index
write time, untracked cache to reduce I/O as well as computation for
.gitignore, index-helper for index read time and this series for
lstat() at refresh time. The remaining piece is killing lstat() from
untracked cache, but right now it's just some idea and incomplete
code.

[1] https://github.com/pclouds/git/commits/refresh-with-watchman
[2] https://github.com/facebook/watchman/issues/19

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (5):
  read-cache: add watchman 'WAMA' extension
  Add watchman support to reduce index refresh cost
  read-cache: allow index-helper to prepare shm before git reads it
  index-helper: use watchman to avoid refreshing index with lstat()
  update-index: enable/disable watchman support

 Makefile                 |  12 +++++
 builtin/update-index.c   |  11 +++++
 cache.h                  |   7 +++
 config.c                 |   5 ++
 configure.ac             |   8 +++
 environment.c            |   3 ++
 index-helper.c           |  84 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 read-cache.c             | 126 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 watchman-support.c (new) | 108 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 watchman-support.h (new) |   7 +++
 10 files changed, 361 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 watchman-support.c
 create mode 100644 watchman-support.h

-- 
2.2.0.513.g477eb31