Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] do_compare_entry: use already-computed path

From: David Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 23:26:02 -0500

On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 15:34 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Great. Thanks, will queue w/o 1/2 (though I do not think it would
> hurt).
> 
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM, David Turner <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-12-21 at 15:27 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > > Thanks.  Does the number still stay at 25% improvement?
> > 
> > Yes.

BTW, that function, via ce_in_traverse_path, gets called about 40
million times when switching (checking out) between master and a branch
that's a few months old (and that contains relatively small changes
from master-as-of-then. Our repo only has approximately a quarter
-million files.  This seems somewhat unreasonable to me, but I haven't
really looked into what's going on. Do you happen to know why this is
and whether it is likely to be a bug?