Subject: Re: "git stash pop" is doing an unwanted "git add" when there are conflicts.

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:17:38 +0100

On ma, 2015-12-21 at 14:29 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hello, git project.
> 
> Last night, whilst clearing out a stale "stash stack", I did "git stash
> pop".  There were conflicts in two files.
> 
> However, all the popped files became staged.  This doesn't normally happen.
> It was intensely irritating, and required me to do "git reset HEAD" on
> each of the files, none of which I wanted to commit.
> 
> I searched the git-stash man page for this scenario, but found nothing
> about it.
> 
> Surely staging all the files is a bug?

That depends. A stash is two commits: one for all changes that were in
the index when you ran 'git stash save' and one for all changes not yet
in the index. When you pop the stash, these then get restored as staged
resp. unstaged changes. So if your changes are now all staged, I'd
wager that they were staged when you ran git stash save.

-- 
Dennis Kaarsemaker
www.kaarsemaker.net