Subject: Re: RFD: removing git.spec.in (Re: git 2.8.0 tarball rpmbuild error)

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:20:01 +0200

On za, 2016-04-02 at 20:41 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I think by now it is very clear that nobody active in the Git
> development community tests RPM binaries built with git.spec.in we
> have in our tree. I suspect RPM based distros are using their own
> RPM build recipe without paying any attention to what we have in our
> tree, and that is why no packager from RPM land gave any bug report
> and correction before the release happened.

Fedora, RHEL, CentOS, OpenSUSE and Mageia all use their own specfiles
and local patches. I do test and distribute RPM packages based on the
next branch, but use fedora's packaging to do so (which incidentally
also broke and I had to work around this change, but I completely
forgot about git.spec.in).

> I'd propose that during the cycle for the next feature release, we'd
> remove git.spec.in and stop pretending as if we support RPM
> packaging.

I would be in favor of that. In general, I find it much better to use a
distro's packaging and simply transplanting a tarball into it. That
keeps the difference with what the distro provides minimal.

-- 
Dennis Kaarsemaker
www.kaarsemaker.net