Subject: Signing off, for now

From: David Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 15:22:30 -0400

June 3rd will be my last day at Twitter.  I hope that my new job
(starting in July after a month of vacation) will give me time to work
on Git, but I don't know exactly what parts I'll be working on, or on
what schedule.

As a result, some of my patchsets may get significantly less of my
attention.  Also, my twopensource.com email address will (probably) be
going away.  You can reach me on my personal email address at 
[email-masked].  

Keith McGuigan <[email-masked]> will be taking over Git work at
Twitter.  You may remember Keith from his diagnosis of the user-after
free which we fixed in "name-hash: don't reuse cache_entry in
dir_entry".  Some of you also met him at Git Merge.

Here is the status on the pending patchsets that I've worked on:

- index-helper/watchman is in pu.  Keith will be interested in
iterating on this series if necessary.

- alternate refs backends: Michael Haggerty is working on a new version
of this.  I don't know if Keith will have time to jump in on this.
Depending on the exact timing of Michael's work, I might have a chance
to do another round on this.

- Protocol v2: I would like to get a new draft of Stefan's series out
before I leave, but no promises.  It's turned out to be a bit more
complicated than I expected to support HTTP.  At worst, I'll toss my
WIP on github and send a link to the list.  

As you may have heard at Git Merge 2015, Twitter uses a journal-based
replication scheme.  We would like to switch to vanilla fetch but are
concerned about performance in the presence of many refs.  Protocol v2
could help with this.  We haven't sent the journal code to the list
because its handling of refs is suboptimal.  A LMDB refs backend would
make that much simpler.  I think I've sent a github link to the list in
the past for that code.

Keith might or might not do some work on protocol v2, depending on his
time and on how Twitter decides to handle fetching.

I've really enjoyed working on Git, and I hope I get the chance to do
more in the future.  Thanks to everyone for wonderful code reviews and
a pleasant environment.  It's been great.