Subject: Re: git blame <directory> [was: Reducing CPU load on git server]

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:28:29 +0200

On wo, 2016-08-31 at 01:42 -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:46:20PM +0200, Jakub Narębski wrote:
> 
> > I wonder if having support for 'git blame ' in Git core would
> > be something interesting to Git users.  I once tried to implement it,
> > but it went nowhere.  Would it be hard to implement?
> I think there's some interest; I have received a few off-list emails
> over the years about it. There was some preliminary discussion long ago:
> 
>8 <snip>
>
> Here's a snippet from an off-list conversation I had with Dennis (cc'd)
> in 2014 (I think he uses that blame-tree code as part of a custom git
> web interface):

I still do, but haven't worked on that webinterface in a while. I also
still build git with blame-tree merged in (which does occasionally
require a rebase with some tinkering).

> That's all I could dig out of my archives. I'd be happy if somebody> wanted to pick it up and run with it. Polishing for upstream has been on
> my list for several years now, but there's usually something more
> important (or interesting) to work on at any given moment.

Same here. I've been meaning to pick this up, but it touches some parts
of git I'm still not too familiar with and there are always other
things to do :)

D.