Subject: Re: Repeatable Extraction

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 08:49:05 +0200

On di, 2016-09-27 at 20:14 -0700, chris king wrote:
> Hello, first off thanks for such a wonderful tool! I have a general
> question and I hope this is an appropriate spot to ask it.
> 
> Is there a way automate extraction that will repeatably generate the
> same files? Currently, each time I extract git portable many of the
> binaries change slightly. For example, if I extract twice using
> 
>     PortableGit-2.10.0-32-bit.7z.exe -y -gm2
> 
> then Beyond Compare tells me that many of the files in usr\bin have
> changed at offset 0x88 and 0x89. Why is that?

Hi Chris,

That file is specific to the git for windows project, not git itself.
While you may be able to find somebody on the git@vger mailinglist who
knows the answer, git for windows also has a separate mailinglist at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/git-for-windows and a chat room
at https://gitter.im/git-for-windows/git -- these may be of more
assistance in this case.

-- 
Dennis Kaarsemaker
http://www.kaarsemaker.net