Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/2] git diff <(command1) <(command2)

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 07:11:34 +0100

On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 13:27 -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > No tests or documentation updates yet, and I'm not sure whether
> > --follow-symlinks in other modes than --no-index should be supported, ignored
> > (as it is now) or cause an error, but I'm leaning towards the third option.
> 
> 
> My knee-jerk reaction is:
> 
>  * The --no-index mode should default to your --follow-symlinks
>    behaviour, without any option to turn it on or off.

ok.

>  * If normal "diff" that follows symlinks by default has an option
>    to disable it, then it is OK to also add --no-follow-symlinks
>    that is only valid in the --no-index mode, so that we can mimick
>    it better (I do not think this is the case, though).

It does not, so no new option.

>  * Other modes should not follow symbolic links ever, no need for a
>    new option.

Makes sense.

> In any case, I'd advise you not to reroll this too quickly and
> frequently until the end of this cycle.  During a feature freeze, I
> won't take new topics in 'pu' as that would add more things I need
> to worry about, and if you reroll in too quick succession, it will
> become harder to identify the latest set and queue after the
> release.

I'm in no hurry, so I'll sit on this until v2.11 is done.

D.