Subject: Re: git-daemon regression: 650c449250d7 common-main: call git_extract_argv0_path()

From: Dennis Kaarsemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 17:56:31 +0100

Hi Mike,

On Sat, 2016-11-26 at 15:03 +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Greetings,
> 
> git-daemon went broke on me post v2.9.3 due to binaries being installed
> in /usr/lib/git, which is not in PATH.  Reverting 650c449250d7 fixes it
> up, as does ln -s /usr/lib/git/git-daemon /usr/bin/git-daemon 'course,
> but thought I should report it, since it used to work without that.

I don't know how you usually install git, but git-daemon is not
supposed to be in $PATH, the correct way to invoke the git daemon is
'git daemon' not 'git-daemon'

Having all subcommands of git as separate binaries in your $PATH is an
ancient git.git practice that stopped being used/supported quite a
while ago.

I don't know why this patch broke that obsolete practice, but hopefully
this can help you forward.

D.