Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] rebase -i: add config to abbreviate command-names

From: Liam Beguin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 13:13:15 -0400

Hi Junio,

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 22:04 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > > If 'git-rebase--interactive.sh' is bound to be replaced, I could
> > > just shrink this to the Documentation cleanup (patches 4 and 5)
> > > and rework the rest on top of your new implementation.
> > 
> > I kind of hoped that Junio would chime in with his verdict. That would be
> > the ultimate deciding factor, I think.
> 
> What I can predict is that within two or three release cycles
> (unless you completely lose interest) the todo-list generation will
> be all in C and that I anticipate that the C version may even be
> capable of generating different kind of todo command (e.g. to
> support tools like your Garden Shears more natively), so the
> mid-term direction definitely is that any enhancement would in the
> end needs to happen on top of or in coordination with the C rewrite
> we've been discussing recently.
> 
> I didn't know what the comfort levels of Liam working with scripted
> vs C code, and the "vertict" depends on that, I would think.  We may
> want to discuss the enhancement in the original scripted form Liam
> did with new tests while the C rewrite is still cooking, and either
> Liam, you or somebody else can make it work with your C rewrite when
> both are ready.  If Liam feels comfortable working with you and the
> code after the C rewrite that is still in-flight, it is also fine if
> the next iteration from Liam were on top of your series.
> 
> 

Sorry for the delay, I don't mind switching to C but it would probably
be easier to see if the scripted version gets approved first.
If it does, I could then get started on the C implementation.
If you prefer I could also forget about the scripted version, make a C
implementation work and see if that gets approved.

Thanks,
Liam