Subject: Small issue with "add untracked" option of 'git add -i'

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:03:35 +0530

Hello all,

There seems to be a small issue with the output of the "add untracked"
option of 'git add -i'. Consider the following scenario,

* A user makes a change to a tracked file
* His repo has a few untracked files which he has left it in that way
intentionally
* He chooses to use 'git add -i' to stage changes
* He chooses option 4, accidentally, instead of option 5. He is shown
the following menu,

> *** Commands ***
>   1: status	  2: update	  3: revert	  4: add
> untracked
>   5: patch	  6: diff	  7: quit	  8: help
> What now> 4
>   1: test-file
> Add untracked>> 

* He exits by hitting return but he is shown this weird message found
below.

> No untracked files.

* He is surprised on seeing this.

Why is that message shown when "there are untracked files" but the user
doesn't add them to the staging area ? If that message is relative to
the staging area shouldn't it be made more explicit? Further in that
case it doesn't seem to be consistent with the another output shown in
the scenario in which the developer chooses the 'add untracked' option
when he really doesn't have any untracked files in his working
directory.

> *** Commands ***
>   1: status	  2: update	  3: revert	  4: add
> untracked
>   5: patch	  6: diff	  7: quit	  8: help
> What now> 4
> No untracked files.
> 

-- 
Regards,
Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>