Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] Contextually notify user about an initial commit

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:04:23 +0530

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 16:41 +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> Right now 1/3 breaks the test suite. That's a big no-no, any given
> commit should not break the test suite to not break bisecting.
> 
> But aside from that the general pattern we follow is that if code
> behavior changes, tests for that new behavior go in the same commit.
> 
I did think of squashing the first two patches, anyway. Now the three
of them (except for that spacing fix) must be squashhed. Not a big
issue, anyway. I tweaked the suggested commit message a bit for the
following reason,

Ensure it follows the "describe problem, justify solution, mention
alternatives" pattern as it sounds good and natural. I wanted to keep
the alternatives as I found it to the commit message to be a more
appropriate place than the mailing list archives. This could induce
others who see it to do the same ;)

> 
> Regarding the format: I was referring to the 'prefix the first line
> with
> "area: "' part of SubmittingPatches, sorry for the brevity. I.e. your
> --oneline output just yields "Contextually notify user about an
> initial
> commit" but should be "status: <short summary>".
> 
That's a good one. I initially thought it was optional.

-- 
Regards,
Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>