Subject: Re: [PATCH] hooks: add signature to the top of the commit message

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 00:22:07 +0530

On Sat, 2017-07-01 at 10:36 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Actually I was wondering if it is a good idea to remove it, as it
> seems to have outlived its usefulness.
It does seem  to be a good idea but it would leave the 'prepare-commit-
msg' hook with no scripts that could be used by just activating it.
That's why I thought of adding a script that removes the "Please enter
your.." message from the comments if it exists. A typical patch will
follow.

Enabling the "prepare-commit-msg" hook with the patch that follows
would do have following result,

Before,

    # Please enter the commit message for your changes. Lines starting
    # with '#' will be ignored, and an empty message aborts the commit.
    # On branch hook-test-merge
    # Changes to be committed:
    #    	    new file:   commit-msg
    #

After,

    # On branch hook-test-merge
    # Changes to be committed:
    #    	    new file:   commit-msg
    #

A typical consequence for "git commit --amend" would be,

Before,

    Test commit

    # Please enter the commit message for your changes. Lines starting
    # with '#' will be ignored, and an empty message aborts the commit.
    #
    # Date:      Sun Jul 2 00:11:28 2017 +0530

After,

    Test commit

    #
    # Date:      Sun Jul 2 00:11:28 2017 +0530
    #