Subject: Help needed for solving a few issues with building git

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 18:48:18 +0530

Hello all,

Building without localization support
------------------------------------
I tried to build git from source without localization support by adding
the following line to the Makefile,

    NO_GETTEXT=1

It doesn't seem to be working for reasons I'm unable to find. I used
the following commands to build git.

    make prefix=$CUSTOM_BUILD_LOCATION
    make install prefix=$CUSTOM_BUILD_LOCATION

While trying to build (without the 'gettext' library that's required
for localization) I get the following error,

    Manifying 8 pod documents
        SUBDIR templates
        MSGFMT po/build/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/git.mo
    /bin/sh: 1: msgfmt: not found
    Makefile:2179: recipe for target
    'po/build/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/git.mo' failed
    make: *** [po/build/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/git.mo] Error 127

    What could I be missing?

    Adding HTTPS support
    --------------------
    I tried to add HTTP/HTTPS support to the custom built version for which
    AFAIK 'git' depends on 'curl'. I tried providing the location of the
    curl source in the Makefile using the following line after reading the
    instructions in the Makefile.

    CURLDIR=/path/to/curl/source

    Even after doing this the custom built git errors with the following
    message when I try to use the 'git fetch' command,

    fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'

    Any thing I'm missing?

    Note: In case you were wondering, I was able to build 'git' after
    installing the dependant package which I find useless as I don't
    require any localization messages.

-- 
Kaartic