Subject: Re: [PATCH] hooks: replace irrelevant hook sample

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 20:54:22 +0530

On Fri, 2017-07-07 at 08:05 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> That is because I wear multiple hats, because I try to help in
> different ways, and because open source is not a battle to see whose
> idea is more right, but is a cooperative process to find a better
> solution together.
> 
Thanks for helping and being kind!

> As a fellow contributor, I do not think that removing the hint that
> is commented out, which is meant to be helpful to users while in
> their editor and which will be removed after the editor finishes
> anyway, is a useful enough example to keep the now otherwise useless
> sample hook.  But as the maintainer, I can see that you are still
> making sincere efforts to come up with a useful example and improve
> the end-user experience, and more importantly, I haven't heard from
> other people what they think---the only thing I have are different
> opinions from two people.  That is why I am not deciding and telling
> you to go find another area to hack in.
> 
> At the same time, I found that your implementation of the idea, i.e.
> removal of the commented-out hint, can be improved.  With an
> improved implementation of the proposed solution, it may have a
> better chance to be supported by others on the list, and equally
> importantly, if it turns out that other people do support what this
> patch tries to do, i.e. keep the sample hook alive by replacing the
> now useless examples with this one, we would have a better
> implementation of it.  And that is something I can help with, while
> I, the maintainer, is waiting.
> 
So, I'll improve it and of course wait for any replies. BTW, thanks for
clearing off the little confusion I had. I'm not used to these
multiple-hat replies from single person. Thanks for exposing me to it.

> Oh, by the way, what the maintainer is waiting for is not just "me
> too"s; this is not exactly a "having more people wins" democracy.
Got it.

-- 
Quote: “The most valuable person on any team is the person who makes
everyone else on the team more valuable”

Regards,
Kaartic