Subject: Re: Contact with Latinamerica

From: Christopher Díaz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 08:51:33 -0500

> You may also want to look at the https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2 free
> book 
> which can be translated by volunteers, and is possibly one of the
> first 
> ports of call for most users (top or near-top of search engine hits)
> 

Thanks for that info, I've already read that one a couple of weeks ago
when I was trying to make my first PR to my community :) sure I can
help with translations.

> Another very simple step is to read and comment on the commit
> messages sent 
> to the list, particulalrly for ease of readability and ease of 
> translation/comprehension.
> 
> It is very easy to write sentences that are too long. And with too
> many 
> conjunctions.
> 
> We do not notice when we do it, having only been taught to write
> long 
> flowery sentences for essays and novels...
> 
> Proof-reading the commit messages will also allow the reader to do
> directed 
> research on just the particular item (both the use of language and
> the code 
> style)
> 

That is a very good point, I'll keep it on mind when we have more
members and that may help them in having "more" fluent conversations.

> > 
> Welcome to the community! All it takes is one email (a journey of a
> thousand 
> miles starts with the first step) [1]
> 

Thank yoou all very much! I'll present myself then, since the last
presentations don't say a lot about myself hehe.

Well you all know that I am a software development student here. The
institute here teaches us things like web (java, php, javascript) and
mobile development (java, swift). On the other hand I think that in
order to be a good developer (like real hackers) someone needs to
understand how the machine thinks and works, that's why I've been
learning OS concepts and low level languages like Assembly and C by
myself in order to really understand how a computer works. I love open
source given the fact that it helps you to discover how other amazing
developers think and work. I've been using Linux-based distros since a
couple of years, I could even create my own Linux From Scratch once a
couple of months ago, that was a great learning experience :D but I
stay with Gentoo linux since I've found there a lot of great
information and the ability to learn about source code and get the max
performance from my laptop.

I don't like web and mobile development, but I do enjoy breaking mobile
and web apps :D that's why I'm focusing right now on cybersecurity.
Right now I'm and intern in a company called BroderJobs here in Lima,
as security analist (actually I'm the whole TI dptmnt).

Here in Peru, sadly, open source is like a taboo... noone uses it,
neither companies nor educational institutions. That's why I'm founding
this community, in order to give students the ability to connect with
open source communities and work with great developers. Right now we
are 4, but I believe that when the classes begin again ( on August 15th
me and some other universities one week later) I'm going to be able to
invite them and see how this project growths :D
 
That's why right now I'm getting in touch with lots of communities to
see how can we contribute and this could help me to present the
community to universities and other institutions so that they can see
that we actually help big communities.

That's me :) nice to meet you all
Christopher Díaz Riveros