Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] branch: forbid refs/heads/HEAD

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 10:30:22 +0530

On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 17:57 +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ... The code may already
> handle it, or there may need even more code to support the rename; I
> didn't check.
> 

As far as I could see there the code does seem to already handle the
rename. This part of builtin/branch.c is what seems to be ensuring
that,

        if (strbuf_check_branch_ref(&oldref, oldname)) {
                /*
                 * Bad name --- this could be an attempt to rename a
                 * ref that we used to allow to be created by accident.
                 */
                if (ref_exists(oldref.buf))
                        recovery = 1;
                else
                        die(_("Invalid branch name: '%s'"), oldname);
        }

-- 
Kaartic