Subject: Documentation of post-receive hook

From: Christoph Michelbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 23:40:31 +0100

Hi,

I think the documentation of the post-receive hook is misleading. When reading
it, it appears as though the post-receive hook is executed even when no commits
are transferred by a git push because it isn't mentioned anywhere that this is
necessary for its execution.

This can easily be fixed by changing

    This hook is invoked by 'git-receive-pack' on the remote repository,
    which happens when a 'git push' is done on a local repository.

to:

    This hook is invoked by 'git-receive-pack' on the remote repository,
    which happens when a 'git push' is done on a local repository and
    successfully transfers at least 1 commit.

Alternatively,

    This hook executes once for the receive operation.

can be changed to

    This hook executes once for the receive operation, but only if at least
    1 commit was successfully transferred.

Imho, the first option should be chosen as it informs the reader about this
behavior at the first convenient opportunity.

-- 
Christoph Michelbach <[email-masked]>