Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v2] ref-filter: Make "--contains <id>" less chatty if <id> is invalid

From: Paul-Sebastian Ungureanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 16:12:48 +0200

Hello,

Your proposed solution makes a lot more sense. I have actually
considered a solution similar to this (the third solution from [1]),
but found it more complicated. I did not account for the fact that
once a callback is called, the user is already aware of the available
options and the user only supplied an invalid argument value.

I also have to make sure that all parsers (all callbacks and standard
ones, for integer, filename, etc.) are already printing errors
appropriately. Otherwise, some commands may fail and the user will not
be aware of it because nothing will be shown (no usage is shown and no
errors either).

I will be implementing this solution and come back with another patch.

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate it!

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
ff.net/

Best regards,
Paul Ungureanu