Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] l10n: de.po: translate "track" as "folgen"

From: Christian Stimming <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 17:20:46 +0200

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 21:48:23 schrieb Ralf Thielow:
> The word "track" was translated as "verfolgt"
> which is not the correct word for it. We've
> changed it to "folgen".

I'm not so sure about this choice. We're talking about files which are tracked 
by git (i.e. being versioned) vs. files or content that are not tracked, i.e. 
those are just existing in the working copy's directory but are not tracked by 
git. I think from the point of view of git, the content of the files is being 
"verfolgt" vs. "nicht verfolgt", as git checks whether the content is changing 
vs. git doesn't check this. Saying "folgen" here rather sounds like git is 
following something, just as your twitter account is following other 
twitterers. Consider a choicebox "Änderungen dieser Datei verfolgen" vs. 
"Änderungen dieser Datei folgen". In the former case, git is the subject and 
it is tracking the file's content. In the latter case, the file is the subject 
and git is triggered into some action when the file content changes. I think 
the former fits the use case more.

Regards,

Christian

> --- a/po/de.po
> +++ b/po/de.po
> @@ -525,7 +525,7 @@ msgstr "geänderter Inhalt, "
> 
>  #: wt-status.c:252
>  msgid "untracked content, "
> -msgstr "unverfolgter Inhalt, "
> +msgstr "ungefolgter Inhalt, "