Subject: ds/rebase-update-re (was Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2022, #01; Fri, 1))

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 07:15:02 -0600

On 7/1/22 5:08 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * ds/rebase-update-ref (2022-06-28) 8 commits
>  - rebase: add rebase.updateRefs config option
>  - rebase: update refs from 'update-ref' commands
>  - rebase: add --update-refs option
>  - sequencer: add update-ref command
>  - sequencer: define array with enum values
>  - rebase-interactive: update 'merge' description
>  - branch: consider refs under 'update-refs'
>  - t2407: test branches currently using apply backend
>  (this branch uses ds/branch-checked-out.)
> 
>  "git rebase -i" learns to update branches whose tip appear in the
>  rebased range.
> 
>  Will merge to 'next'?
>  source: <[email-masked]>

Please expect at least one more re-roll. Here are the things I
intend to fix in the next re-roll, which should arrive sometime
this week.

* Some commit message tweaks.
* Actually interrupt 'git bisect' and 'git rebase' in the tests.
* Be careful to update the update-refs file when the user edits
  the todo file.
* Consider storing the "before" values in the update-refs file
  and removing refs whose update-ref steps were removed by the
  user.
* Elijah had a question about focusing on "pick" actions, not
  "fixup" or "squash" steps. This might be worth marking the
  option as experimental so we have flexibility in changing the
  behavior as new workflows are tested against this option.
* Elijah also had some optimization ideas, but I'm not sure if
  we should prioritize them here or have them as future
  improvements after the feature is stable.

Thanks,
-Stolee