Subject: Re: How can I tell if a tag has been pushed, or not?

From: layer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:02:23 -0700

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 19:43, layer<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > Here's the problem:
>> >
>> > I expect that users, in their own private repos, will from time to
>> > time create tags that should not be pushed.  Sometimes, tags that
>> > should be pushed will be created.
>> >
>> > I could require that the "public" tags follow a specific convention
>> > (start with "release", or something).  Then, the scripts all my
>> > developers use could use that and push only certain tags.  However,
>> > over time there could be a large number of them.  It seems undesirable
>> > to push each tag each time a push is done.  So, how can I tell if a
>> > tag has already been pushed?  Is there a way?
>> 
>> git push does not push any tags by default. You either have to
>> specify them explicitly or add --tags (all tags). Maybe that is enough?

No, I already knew about that.

>> Otherwise, there is always git ls-remote 'tags/*'...

This is what I needed.  Thanks.