Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.0

From: Bill Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:57:23 -0600

On Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 19:14:16 (-0800) Junio C Hamano writes:
>The latest feature release GIT 1.5.0 is available at the usual places:
>...

I do think worth pointing out that, quite significantly, you can now
use git-daemon to push changes into a repo, something very handy for
private networks.

This is enabled by passing the --enable=receive-pack to the
git-daemon (usually in the [x]?inetd configuration).

This has the benefit of:

  1) More efficient git transport for both pushes and pulls.

  2) A less ugly URL to use: git://server/repo, instead of, say,
     ssh+git://server/path/to/repos/repo.

  3) Ability to easily move your repo without changing the URL in each
     client, by changing the URL in the git-daemon config file
     (xinetd) --- say, if you want to move your repo to a striped
     disk, or similar.

Bill