Subject: Re: [PATCH] Solaris 5.8 returns ENOTDIR for inappropriate renames.

From: Jason Riedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:16:41 -0800

And Junio C Hamano writes:
> > -		if (errno==EISDIR) {
> > +		if (errno==EISDIR || errno==ENOTDIR) {

> Now ".git/logs/foo/bar" might already exist as a directory, and
> this error path is attempting to catch EISDIR that comes out
> from it (and in that case, if there is nothing but empty
> directories in the hierarchy under .git/logs/foo/bar, we 
> remove them and retry).
> 
> Does Solaris give ENOTDIR in such a case?

Exactly.  rename(file, directory) produces an error.  Some
systems associate the error with the directory and give EISDIR.
Solaris (at least 5.8) associates the error with the file and
gives ENOTDIR.

Looks like SUS declares EISDIR as the correct errno.  I didn't
realize that...  I don't think it's worth a full compat wrapper
just for this, but I could be wrong.

It is worth including your very lucid explanation in the
routine's comments, though.

Jason