Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: commit: document special date keywords for --date

From: Engr Md Ferdous Alam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 18:56:31 +0000 (UTC)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've always thought that these are easter eggs to be discovered,
> deliberately left out of documentation, as they mostly exist to be
> amusing.  For those who want to be precise, the date formats section
> gives sufficient information.
>
> Moreover, 7.days.ago and 1.week.ago are also in the same category as
> what you called "keywords" here, but we do not try to make an
> exhausitive list.
>
> So, I dunno.

That makes sense.  I had not considered that these were intentionally
left undocumented as easter eggs.  And you are right that trying to
list some without listing all (like 7.days.ago) would be incomplete
and misleading.

I will withdraw this patch.  Thank you for the explanation.

Md Ferdous Alam

On Monday, February 23, 2026 at 11:10:23 PM GMT+6, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote: 

"Md Ferdous Alam via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: mdferdousalam <[email-masked]>
>
> The --date option in git-commit accepts human-readable keywords
> like "now", "yesterday", "noon", "midnight", "tea", and "never",
> but these were not documented.

I've always thought that these are easter eggs to be discovered,
deliberately left out of documentation, as they mostly exist to be
amusing.  For those who want to be precise, the date formats section
gives sufficient information.

Other than perhaps "now", which may be handy but not so useful in
the context of "git commit --date=now".

Moreover, 7.days.ago and 1.week.ago are also in the same category as
what you called "keywords" here, but we do not try to make an
exhausitive list.

So, I dunno.