Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] l10n: de.po: translate 39 new messages

From: Christian Stimming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:26:44 +0200

Thanks for the regular update! This is great work.

One issue with the plural form messages, though:

Am Montag, 15. April 2013, 18:27:40 schrieb Ralf Thielow:
>  #: bundle.c:186
> -#, fuzzy, c-format
> +#, c-format
>  msgid "The bundle contains this ref:"
>  msgid_plural "The bundle contains these %d refs:"
> -msgstr[0] "Das Paket enthält %d Referenz"
> -msgstr[1] "Das Paket enthält %d Referenzen"
> +msgstr[0] "Das Paket enthält diese Referenz:"
> +msgstr[1] "Das Paket enthält diese %d Referenzen:"

The msgstr[0] must still contain a %d conversion specifier (which will be 
filled with the number 1) even though the translated sentence wouldn't need 
the 1 anymore. The previous msgstr[0] was correct; the English singular msgid 
is not.

Technical background: The ngettext function chooses only the string itself, 
which will then be fed to printf() as a second step. If the printf sees more 
variadic arguments than conversion specifiers in the string, it will be 
unhappy. At least that's what I remembered about the ngettext things...

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Advanced-gettext-
functions.html

Regards,

Christian