Subject: Re: Git-commits mailing list feed.

From: "Sean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:44:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, April 23, 2005 3:38 pm, Linus Torvalds said:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Sean wrote:
>>
>> A script that knows how to validate signed tags, can easly strip off all
>> the signing overhead for display.   Users of scripts that don't
>> understand
>> will see the cruft, but at least it will still be usable.
>
> NO.
>
> Guys, I will say this once more: git will not look at the signature.
>
> That means that we don't "strip them off", because dammit, they DO NOT
> EXIST as far as git is concerned. This is why a tag-file will _always_
> start with
>
> 	commit <commit-sha1>
> 	tag <tag-name>
>
> because that way we can use fsck and validate reachability and have things
> that want trees (or commits) take tag-files instead, and git will
> automatically look up the associated tree/commit. And it will do so
> _without_ having to understand about signing, since signing is for trust
> between _people_ not for git.

Yes, totally agreed.

> And that is why I from the very beginning tried to make ti very clear
> that the signature goes at the end. Not at the beginning, not in the
> middle, and not in a different file. IT GOES AT THE END.
>

Okay now you're just being difficult <g>   You're acting like it's
impossible for git to grab the SHA1 out of the clear text message if there
is signing overhead above the tag reference.   That is nonesense.   You
simply state that tag must include a SHA1 object reference preceded by
"REF:" in the comment.   Git can surely use this regardless of what
signing overhead is above, below or beside it.   The suggestion for
stripping out the signing overhead was for _human_ readability; git won't
care a gnit.

Sean