Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] request-pull: do something if $3 is passed

From: Paolo Bonzini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 16:10:08 -0500 (EST)

> Looking for HEAD in "git ls-remote"? Perfectly sensible:
> 
>     [torvalds@i7 linux]$ git ls-remote origin | grep HEAD
>     cc4f9c2a91b7be7b3590bb1cbe8148873556aa3f HEAD
> 
> that's the default thing when you don't specify any particular branch or tag.

Sure.  But if I got a pull request saying "please pull
git://example.org/foo.git HEAD" I would think that the sender
messed up the pull request.  So *in the context of git-request-pull*
${remote:-HEAD} makes little sense to me.

But hey, you said it's me who makes no sense.  Maybe I really don't.

> The thing is, HEAD works. Not for you, because you don't use HEAD. But
> because you don't use HEAD, you shouldn't use the default.

Oki.  Will adjust my scripts.  Junio, you may still want to apply patch
1 if only for documentation purposes (the "tag foo" functionality is
unused in the rest of the test).

Paolo