Subject: Re: [PATCH] checkout: add remoteBranchTemplate config for DWIM branch names

From: pasteley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2025 03:39:43 +0100

On 23/12/2025 1:51 AM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> pasteley <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> 1. Server-side policies/hooks that require a namespace on the remote
>>      (e.g. `team/*`, `users/<id>/*`, `release/*`).
>> 2. Hosting / mirroring setups where remote branches live under a fixed
>>      prefix for organizational or access-control reasons.
>> 3. Migrations where the remote branch layout is constrained by the
>>      target system, while local developer workflows assume short names.
>>
>> In these scenarios developers do not create the problem, they inherit it.
> 
> Nobody stops you from interacting with projects like the above, and
> locally name branches you store your work in users/pasteley/topic-1
> instead of topic-1, no?
> 

I would say: forced to handle it this way. And guessing I’m not the only
one struggling. Meanwhile, there’s a simple quality-of-life improvement
that would help avoid all the hacky custom aliases and shell workarounds
for what should be a relatively straightforward remote refspec format
adjustment.
I’d really like to see this discussion move toward practical,
constructive steps, though I’m not sure what it would take to get there.