Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] git-compat-util: convert string predicates to return bool

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 10:36:53 +0100

On 14/07/2025 22:14, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On 2025-07-14 at 17:20:08, Elijah Newren wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2025 at 6:32 AM Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>> I wonder if case-independent and case-dependent should be hyphenated,
>> or as separate words as you had them.  Anyone know?
> 
> I would hyphenate them.  The Chicago Manual of Style, 18th Edition, says
> in § 7.91, “When compound modifiers (also called phrasal adjectives)
> such as _high-profile_ or _book-length_ precede a noun, hyphenation
> usually lends clarity.  With the exception of proper nouns (such as
> _United States_) and compounds formed by an adverb ending in _-ly_ plus
> an adjective…, it is never incorrect to hyphenate adjectival compounds
> before a noun.”
> 
> They go on to state that hyphenation is usually omitted _after_ a noun.
> 
> I usually follow this rule in my writing and commit messages and I
> haven't gotten any complaints or comments about it, for what it's worth.

Thanks for that - I'll hyphenate them then.

Thank you also to Elijah and Eric for the typo fixes - I seem to have 
had my brain turned off when I proofread this message.

Phillip