Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] use the pager in 'add -p'

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 09:27:49 +0100

Hi Dragan

On 09/06/2024 18:20, Dragan Simic wrote:
> On 2024-06-09 16:29, [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> Having read the message you referenced I'm struggling to understand
>> the use-case for stripping escape codes - what do you want to do with
>> the hunk that means you want to remove the color?
> 
> Let me recap, please.
> [...]
> I hope this makes the whole thing more clear.

It is very clear _how_ you think it should work and I agree that makes 
sense in the context of a generic shell pipeline. What's not clear to me 
is _why_ that is useful in the context of displaying hunks in "git add 
-p". The purpose of "git add -p" is to allow the user to interactively 
stage individual hunks. The "|" command allows the user to display the 
hunk in a way that helps them decide whether to stage that particular 
hunk. Are you able to give a specific example of a command that would 
help you decide whether to stage a particular hunk where you would not 
want to keep the escape codes?

Best Wishes

Phillip