Subject: Re: Merge with git-pasky II.

From: Simon Fowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:55:37 +1000

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 05:19:24AM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> Simon
> 
> given that you have multiple machines creating files, how do you deal with 
> the idea of the same 'unique id' being assigned to different files by 
> different machines?
> 
The id is a sha1 hash of the current time and the full path of the
file being added - the chances of that being replicated without
malicious intent is extremely small. There are other things that
could be used, like the hostname, username of the person running the
program, etc, but I don't really see them being necessary.

Simon

-- 
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://himi.org
doe #237 (see http://www.lemuria.org/DeCSS) 
My DeCSS mirror: ftp://himi.org/pub/mirrors/css/