Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'

From: Tom Lord <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

From: [email-masked]

Thank you for your experiment.  I'm not surprised by the 
result but it is very nice to know that my expectations
are right.

I think that to a large extent you are seeing artifacts
of the questionable trade-offs that (reports tell me) the
ext* filesystems make.   With a different filesystem, the 
results would be very different.

I'm imagining a blob database containing may revisions of the linux
kernel.  It will contain millions of blobs.

It's fine that some filesystems and some blob operations work fine
on a directory with millions of files but what about other operations
on the database?   I pity the poor program that has to `readdir' through
millions of files.

That said: I may add an optional flat-directory format to my library,
just to avoid issues such as those you raise over the next couple 
years.

-t