Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.6.2 && heads-up on upcoming changes

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:35:27 -0400

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:12:34PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Here's a slightly updated version.
> 
> It's identical to the previous one, except that it also feeds the result 
> through "| ${PAGER:-less}" which makes it a lot more useful, in my 
> opinion.
> 
> If you redirect the output to a non-tty, both "less" and "more" do the 
> right thing and just feed the output straight through. But if the output 
> is a tty, this makes "git log" a lot more friendly than a quickly 
> scrolling mess..

Personally, I'd rather it didn't do this; bk help does the same thing,
and it drives me crazy.  I guess you have /usr/bin/man for a precedent,
though :-)

My logic: it's a lot more intuitive to say "cg-log | less" to get
paginated output than it is to say "cg-log | cat" to get unpaginated
output.

-- 
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC