Subject: Re: A shortcoming of the git repo format

From: Gerhard Schrenk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:58:12 +0200

* H. Peter Anvin <[email-masked]> [2005-04-27 07:43]:
> Most of git's files are starting to converge toward an RFC822-like 
> header with (tag, data) and a free-form section.  This is a good
> thing.

I really hate RFC822-like data structures. Why? Lazy straightforward
people (who have written to much mails) tend to break the relational
data
modell and don't realize what they loose. Usually they introduce
non-atomar tags like

Tag: value1, value2

and game over. You have just broken the first normal form (1NF). In the 
end the relational normalization process is just not to break the
functional dependencies of your data. It's worth it.

I'm reacting like pawlov's dog and really don't know what I'm talking
about (namely git). But please don't do the same error and just
associate
relational = sql = crap. The shell's operator stream paradigma fits very
good to the relational modell. It's certainly closer to the relational
algebra than sql...

Take care
Gerhard