Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add exclude file support to cg-status

From: Matt Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:33:43 -0700

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:09:19PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >>>>> "MP" == Matt Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> MP> Adds a trivial per-repository exclude file implementation for
> MP> cg-status on top of the new git-ls-files option.
> 
>  
> MP> +EXCLUDEFILE=.git/exclude
> 
> Good intentions, but shouldn't the file be .git/info/exclude
> (i.e. under .git/info)?

My reasoning for not doing something like this was that there is
only ever one exclude file.  In other instances of cogito specific
data in the .git directory, there is a subdir named for the class
of data being stored there (i.e. branches, refs).  In this case,
it didn't seem necessary.  On the other hand, this made me
wonder whether there should just be a .git/cginfo subdir where
exclude, branches, refs, etc. all live under since they are
cogito specfic functionality. Something like:

.git/cginfo/

	    exclude
	    branches/
	    refs/

and so on...

-Matt