Subject: Re: "git cvsimport"

From: "Tommy M. McGuire" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:32:40 -0500

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 04:03:53PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> Ok,
>  here's something for testers and/or documentation people: I wrapped a 
> little script around cvs2git (which I imported from the git tools thing), 
> and now you can do
> 
> 	git cvsimport <cvsroot> <modulename>
> 
> and it might all "just work".
> 
> Right now the little sript is actually being anal and checking that 
> CVSROOT is a directory, even though I think it all _should_ work even if 
> CVSROOT is remote too. But I don't have any remote things to test, and for 
> all I know maybe performance is horrible, so for now it artificially 
> limits it to locally accessible CVS repos.
> 
> I'd love it if somebody tested the remote case (and, if it works, sends me
> a patch that just removes the anal tests in git-cvsimport-script), and
> maybe even updated the information a bit more.. As it is, that
> Documentation/cvs-migration.txt file is a bit on the light side.
> 
> Finally, I don't know what to do about cvsps options. It seems that the 
> default time-fuzz is a bit too long for some projects, so at least that 
> one should be overridable. So my silly script is not exactly wonderful, 
> but I think it's more approachable than people doing the magic by hand 
> (and forgetting to set TZ to UTC and the "-A" flag etc etc).
> 
> 		Linus

It seems to work for me.  I'm still sanity checking the results.

Performance is indeed horrible for the remote case.  I don't know how
horrible it would be for someone in a sane environment, since I'm behind
one of SBC's DSL gateways, which thinks (emphasis on "thinks") it is a
nameserver.

The script produced by cvs2git checks out every revision of every file,
right?  Would "cvsps -g -p<dir>" improve cvs2git?  I don't think it
would help performance (it checks out the files to generate the patchset
diffs (?)), but making the ugly someone else's problem is always good.
Also, what about -x, to force cvsps to regenerate it's cached idea of
the repository's patchsets?

cvsps seems a little weak on the whole error message idea (misspelling
cvsroot leads to complaints about CVS versions).  

-- 
Tommy McGuire