Subject: Re: FUNKY tags.

From: Dave Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:47:18 -0400

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:55:18PM +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
 > On 8/17/05, Dave Jones <[email-masked]> wrote:
 > > I've no idea what I did when I tagged those trees, but according
 > > to a google search, cvsps does that when it find patchsets which
 > > are chronologically (and thus by patchset id) earlier than the tag,
 > > but are tagwise after.  Spooky.
 > 
 > It's probably tags that were moved around with "cvs tag -F footag".
 > When using cvs in with a dovetail strategy, people tend to merge
 > BRANCH->HEAD and use a floating tag to mark how far it's been merged
 > in.

In my case, at least the most recent of those cvs tag operations
was just a 'cvs tag x86info-1_14'. Nothing fancy.  I'm fairly sure
there was nothing fancy about the earlier instance either.
So sure in fact, I had to look up that -F flag in the man page to find
out what it did.

x86info cvs shouldn't even have any branches, so theres no strange
head merging going on.

 > I am somewhat worried about cvsps getting confused by these floating
 > tags. Any help in teaching cvsps to ignore tags is welcome ;)

If you're curious, its a sourceforge project at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/x86info
module is 'x86info'.  Both x86info-1_14 and x86info-1_6 are marked as funky
for reasons I'm unaware.

		Dave