Subject: Re: hmm, can't we give the "root" a parent?

From: Kay Sievers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:00:06 +0200

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 01:21:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Kay Sievers wrote:
> >
> > And good to know about that, need to fix the "parent" link in gitweb to
> > respect grafts.
> 
> Note that the simplest way to do this is to try to use "git-rev-list" as 
> much as possible. The "--parents" flag makes the output have the parents 
> (automatically _including_ any grafts) on the line that contains the 
> commit ID.
> 
> That's especially true of any tools that use git-rev-list anyway for other
> reasons. Eg "gitk" could parse the parent stuff this way, and didn't need
> to know about the info/grafts file at all. I suspect the same should be
> true of gitweb.

Everthing that walk from one commit to another, uses git-rev-list, sure.
But in the commit view, and the commitdiff the "parent" link and the parent
that is passed to diff is read from the commit itself.

> (So instead of trying to parse the parent info from the header of the 
> commit, just do "git-rev-list --pretty --parents" and parse that).

I need only one parent:
  git-rev-list --parents --max-count=1 <id>

Hmm, it's one more exec, but I don't need to look at the grafts file or
whatever will make it into git the next time I will look at it. :)

Thanks,
Kay